Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Great Poinsettia Myth

DSCN1680 Contrary to popular belief, poinsettias are not poisonous. This source states that “certain individuals may experience an allergic reaction to poinsettias.” But that “in 1992, the poinsettia was included on the list of houseplants most helpful in removing pollutants from indoor air.” So I think that I will have more poinsettias.

As we were walking from home depot with this poinsettia, a lady saw us and our kids and informed us that we better be careful with our kids around that poinsettia, because poinsettia’s are poisonous, you know! Yes, thank you very much. About two years ago I discovered the they are not, in fact, poisonous. Not to mention that you would think that if a plant was actually poisonous, either stores would not sell them or they would carry warning labels. Or your pediatrician would warn you about it around Christmastime.

Back  to the post – the picture above is actually my poinsettia. It looks full and bushy, and it is my goal to keep it looking that way this year. As you can see, it’s still in the foil wrapping. I’ve been meaning to get rid of that, but I have to find something for it to drain onto first.

If you are interested in keeping a poinsettia year round (which I highly recommend! They are beautiful, even when not in bloom!) this website by the Paul Ecke Ranch is a really helpful resource. They even go through reblooming a poinsettia for you!

Make sure to follow this blog for posts about keeping a poinsettia. I will be attempting to bloom my poinsettia again this fall for Christmas, and I will walk you through all the steps as I perform them with my poinsettia.

No comments:

Post a Comment